Friday, September 3, 2010

Memory upgrade part two

I bought cheap memory from OWC. NuRAM modules started causing machine freezes after one week and after 2 weeks system refused to boot.  It never happened to me before, so far I was lucky to have successful memory upgrades on several systems. I do not think Mac is special, simply memory modules were not were not of the high quality. I you got what you asked for if you buy so cheap.  I wonder who is manufacturer of these modules,  ID was 0x857F.

After this experience I decided to buy from Kingston directly. I got always positive experience with their products, mostly CF cards.

First impression, modules are much thinner than first ones, more like original Apple's modules.  I put them in and it works. So far, so good. Another difference,  I can see serial numbers of each module. Manufacturer id is 0x02FE which looks like Elpida, so at least I can identify who made it.

1 comment:

  1. hey
    i also bought memory from owc - 2x2gb imac mid 2010 upgrade kit. now i am experiencing a lot of kernel panics and other funny stuff that never happened before. What did you do with your memory set from owc?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete